https://plantlifejourney.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/01/Vegan-Gouda2.jpg 300 605 Jill Keb https://plantlifejourney.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/09/PlantLifeJourney.png Jill Keb2021-01-27 23:10:192021-01-27 23:10:19Vegan Gouda Cheese
Vegan Gouda Cheese
Although this recipe has a lot of ingredients, the hardest part is making sure you have them all on hand and then just taking the time to measure as well as getting over your potential "fear" of using agar as this isn't an ingredient my mom ever used. It's otherwise a pretty easy recipe with some nice variations you could get creative with, such as adding some vegan cream cheese with sliced olives for example as seen in the photo. Lower your expectations on the mouthfeel as there is no fat in this recipe... yet, it has a lot of flavor and you can feel good about snarfing it all up on rice cakes or crackers, etc.
- 5 Tbsp agar-age flakes OR 1 1/2 Tbsp agar powder
- 1/2 cup carrots, chopped
- 1/2 cup cashews
- 1/4 cup nooch aka. nutritional yeast
- 3 Tbsp tahini
- 3 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp dijon mustard
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp dry mustard
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 1/8 tsp liquid smoke
- 1 3/4 cup water
- Lightly oil a 3 cup bowl or mold with a rounded bottom and set aside
- Combine water & carrots in a saucepan & bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and cook until very tender @ 10-15 minutes
- Remove lid and stir in agar flakes. Bring to boil again. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring often until agar is dissolved @ 5-10 more minutes
- Move to a food processor or blender and add the remaining ingredients
- Process a few minutes until completely smooth, scraping down sides as necessary
- Pour into oiled bowl and smooth the top (or at this point add sliced olives, nuts, etc.
- Cool, uncovered, in the refrigerator. After completely chilled, it will be ready to unmold and serve. Slice into wedges & enjoy. Freezes well
Leave a ReplyWant to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!